Monday, February 19, 2007

Happy New Money Day

It's actually Presidents Day, but just in time to honor our past Presidents, here's a new $1 coin set of all them, currently scheduled for minting through 2016. The first four (in the likenessess of Washington, Adams, Jefferson and Madison) are being released, and eventually all of the Presidents, including our current Resident (whose name, just like Voldermort's, shall remain nameless) will be depicted in future runs. Our Blogmate, Red Tory, thinks they are ugly, but I am going to withhold opinion until I see one in person. The U.S. Mint has three-sided renderings that are pretty neat. Three sides? Yes: "E Pluribus Unum" is engraved on the rim. I think that is pretty neat.

I didn't like the Sacagaweas when I first saw them, but after awhile, they grew on me. I keep one in my wallet and rarely spend it. I don't think that's what the government has in mind when it comes to the $1 coins they mint, but hell, what else am I going to do with them? Americans will never stop using the paper dollar unless you just take it completely out of circulation.

President Nixon gets his in 2016. The Mint hasn't posted yet when Ford, Carter, Reagan, and Clinton's turn will come. Of course I'm hoping to be around in 2018 or 2020, but I'm certainly not looking forward to seeing the worst President ever's image on a U.S.-minted coin.

C'est La Vie.

Happy President's Day.

No comments: