Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Mind Popping Items

1. Negroponte as Deputy Secretary of State. I literally laughed out loud when I saw Olbermann announce this little doozy this evening. I don't know why it makes me laugh so hard. Deputy Secretary of State? Where has our compass gone? Hell, I'd take a leakless boat at this point.

2. Middle Schools Are Unnecessary and Hateful Places. OK, I added that last part. I read about this through a link from Gothamist. At first my brain froze a bit and remembered that I danced for joy when my former middle school building in Detroit was razed flat to the ground, never to be seen nor heard from again. I think they rebuilt it somewhere else, but at least the edifice that tormented me so itself has been obliviated. Bwahaha. Seriously, this sounds like a good idea. I never could figure out why anybody in their right mind would tear a 7th or 8th grader from all they knew and then throw them all together into one gigantic hormone pit. No. No. No.

3. Pat Robertson Needs to Lay Off the False Prophecy. I hear it's a sin. Of course, I don't know if what he prophesied is false or not. Who am I to say whether Robertson was actually chosen by God to send this revelatory message of death to the people or not? I can strongly doubt it, but I will leave it at that. I've heard enough prophecy come and go to say that the only thing I can trust is the television schedule.

4. Thomas Jefferson's Quran. Jefferson's personal, annotated copy of the Quran will be used in a private swearing in ceremony (after the big mass swearing in earlier in the day) by the first Muslim to sit in an American Congress, Keith Ellison. (That, Mr. Goode, is called a bitch slap, by the way. You better be glad civil folk don't duel anymore.) Joe in DC wonders: why is this in the gossip column?

No comments: