Thursday, May 04, 2006

Halifax update

I think I'm going to head out to the Split Cow for a nightcap, but I wanted to say thanks to all you Canadians (current and former) for all the tips about Halifax. The sun made a brief appearance yesterday, but other than that... nuthin'! It's ok, though, I'm having a fabulous time! Everyone is super friendly and the guys actually look at you like a human being and not human meat, as in New York! How fucking refreshing (or at least refreshing!).

Today was a conference day, so we hopped the bus to Dalhousie University for our conference, then to St. Mary's for a talk about the doctor/writer/Quebec separatist Jacques Ferron, and viewed the travelling exhibit on Ferron that's on view there until May 7.

The librarians and archivists then headed to a few other locations, but truthfully, I was burned out by then and one of the other attendees and I headed back to the hotel to get out of our 'conference gear' and into our 'beer drinking gear.'

Once safely out of gear and into gear, we headed to Your Father's Moustache, which has won the "Best Chicken Wings" in Halifax award for four straight years. While they were good, they weren't Buffalo wings, as they were way too crispy, but the sauce was rocking with the excellent taste of FRANK'S® RedHot® Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce, yum, yum. I guess by non-Buffalo standards, they were pretty good, but I was hankering for Buffalo wings, so I was a little sad but the Coor's Light tastes better in Canada then it does in America. (I've also noticed this phenomenon with Amstel, which tastes great in Amsterdam, but not so hot in New York City.)

Afterward, we went to meet another archivist and his wife at McKelvies. I had a Keith's on tap and a small seafood chowder. We had met the other two for dessert, so they had already eaten, and were about to start on their dessert course. We talked about archives mostly, but then started talking about Stephen Colbert, and I relayed the "rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic" line, which my archivist acquaintance and his wife hadn't heard yet. I brought it up because we were talking about the Maritime Museum, which has an actual deck chair from the Titanic. I took a picture of it and will post it when I get back to the States.

All in all, a lovely, if overcast, rainy and cloudy, day.

The conference portion is over for me, so tomorrow, a walk in the Public Gardens, and then a tour of Peggy's Cove by a local historian in his six-person Nissan van. It's been nice in Halifax, but I feel a bit claustrophic (even with the trip to Dalhousie, which is on the other side of the Citadel), and am yearning to break free and see some other portions of Nova Scotia. In fact, I'm actually yearning mostly to see a free and clear shot of the Atlantic. I love the Atlantic, and if I'm this far up, I have to pay homage to the grand ocean. One can barely see the ocean from the Citadel, so I'm seeking a clear, uninterrupted, view. If, of course, the sun comes out tomorrow.

(Note to self: the next time you go somewhere, bring your flash drive to transfer photographs to your damned blog from your stupid camera.)

No comments: