Thursday, March 02, 2006

A Horrifying Murder

Crime happens every day. This is a fact. People get robbed, kidnapped, murdered and raped. It doesn't matter who you are or where you are, crime happens to every race, color, nationality, male or female, grownup or child. Sometimes crime gets blown out of purportion and the media goes crazy. Sometimes, such media craziness is not necessarily justified, and sometimes media craziness grows organically and sometimes media creates craziness for their own selfish reasons.

I'm hoping that media here in NYC can show some restraint and respect when it comes to a rape and murder that happened here this past weekend.
I don't know why I've been so upset over the rape and murder of John Jay College of Criminal Justice graduate student Imette Carmella St. Guillen which happened here in NYC over the weekend. Maybe because I've been to the same haunts that she went to on her last night, maybe because she looks so bright and happy in photographs, maybe because the thought of what happened to her over 17 horrific hours this past weekend is beyond my powers of comprehension. And yet, I can comprehend just a bit the fear, the rage, the helplessness that this young woman went through on her last night on earth.

It makes me even more upset when I know that the maniac who did it to her dumped her body along the side of a desolate road and walked away, a free man. I hope that the person or persons who raped her, mutilated her, chopped her hair off, stuffed a sock in her mouth and wrapped her face with tan packing tape won't be free for very much longer.

I wish that no one, no where, ever had to go through such an orderal any where. But that's just wishful thinking.

Rage isn't good. I don't like it. It doesn't help. Sometimes it's hard to stop.

No comments: